Writing Case Studies on Network Industries
Proseminar Communication Economics
Over the past decade, case studies have become an increasingly popular tool in management research. The key idea is to use an in-depth investigation of a single firm or event to explore causation and uncover underlying principles. Researchers use case studies mainly to develop and test hypotheses and to develop theory. They are also used in many MBA programs to prepare students for real life decisions in a business environment. Although case studies are a valuable tool both in research and teaching, knowledge of how to use them effectively and especially how to write them is still underdeveloped.
This seminar aims to address this gap and provide students with useful insights on how to write a case study. It will also give students an opportunity to hone their analytical skills and may serve as a methodological basis for Bachelor theses.
The seminar will begin with an all-day introductory session on case study writing and network industries. At the end of the first day, students will be assigned to teams of two. Each team will prepare one case study. In November, they will present preliminary results - the case study will then have to be handed in as a term paper by December 17th.
- The course is taught in English
- Application deadline: 18.10.2010
- The course materials will be provided online
- Wednesday, 27.10.2010, 9:00 am-12:00 pm and 2:00 pm-5:00 pm, Schackstr. 4/III, Room 307
- Wednesday, 17.11.2010, 2:00 pm-6:00 pm, Schackstr. 4/III, Room 307
- Term paper (deadline is 17.12.2010)
- 3 ECTS in modules V or VII (PO 06) respectively M-BWL (PO 08)