Quantitative Data Analysis
Advanced Seminar Communication Economics
Handling large amounts of data and using them to generate knowledge is both a challenge and an opportunity for academics and managers alike. Knowledge about quantitative methods is therefore important not only for writing theses - it is also becoming increasingly important for the future working life.
This seminar aims to provide students with knowledge and experience in quantitative data analysis. It will provide an overview on different quantitative methods before students apply these methods hands-on while preparing their term papers. A second goal is that students learn how to critically read data and how to discover and correct inconsistencies. Students will work on several datasets on the telecommunications industry that will be prepared and analysed using the statistical software STATA.
The seminar will start with an all-day kickoff session in which the lecturers will give an introduction to the telecommunications industry, recap some empirical methods and introduce STATA. Students will work on topics in groups of two and will regularly meet with their respective supervisor. After four weeks, students will present their preliminary results in a second session. The term paper will have to be handed in by December 22nd.
- The course is taught in English
- Number of participants: Max. 20
- Application deadline: 18.10.2010
- Friday, 29.10.2010, all-day kickoff session, Schackstr. 4/III, Room 307
- Tuesday, 30.11.2010, 12:00 pm-6:00 pm, Schackstr. 4/III, Room 307
- Presentation and term paper (deadline is 22.12.2010)
- 6 ECTS in modules V or VII (PO 06) respectively M-BWL (PO 08)
- The term paper will serve for admission to writing a Bachelor thesis at the ISTO