Frontiers in Strategy Research
Proseminar Scientific Methods
This course is targeted at Master of Science students with an interest in strategy and aims at giving them a first point of call into "hot topics" in strategic management research as well as a first impression of how research projects in this field look like in practice.
The course concept has two pillars:
- Ad hoc short presentations by the students as an introduction to the topics. Presenters will be drawn by lot at the beginning of each session. For this reason, it is essential that all participants regularly read all the assigned papers.
- Development and presentation of concepts for research projects by the participants. Students will be asked to identify interesting and so far unexamined research questions as well as possible methodological approaches building on the provided literature. For each course date two topics will be announced.
(Please note that we do not expect you to open up completely new research streams - rather the further development of existing approaches is expected)
In the introductory session, a list of six topics will be given out with up to three types of readings assigned to each topic:
- "Milestone readings" which were the starting point for an entire research field
- "Extension papers" that take the research field further by empirical tests or by offering new theoretical perspectives
- "Critical papers" that question or challenge the existing research field and propose some form of departure from the status quo
Based on the provided readings as well as further literature research, the "new" concepts are to be developed by the students.
The course has two goals: First, students will get an overview on several "hot topics" in strategy research. Second, students will get a first impression on how research in strategic management looks like in practice. As different essential questions with regard to the conceptualization of a real life research project will be addressed, we expect this course to be especially useful as a preparation for a Master thesis in the field of strategy.
- The course is taught in English
- The seminar is offered for Master of Science students only
- Max. number of participants: 18
- To apply, please send your CV, a recent transcript and an e-mail motivating your application to Christoph Dehne ( email@example.com)
- Presentation + participation in discussions
- 3 ECTS in modules WP3 or WP4 (PO 08)
|Venues:||Wednesday, 04.05.2011, 10:00 am-1:00 pm (s.t.), Schackstr. 4/III, Room 307 (Kick-off)
Thursday, 09.06.2011, 9:00 am-4:00 pm (s.t.), Kaulbachstr. 45, Room 004
Friday, 10.06.2011, 1:00-4:00 pm (s.t.), Ludwigstr. 28 (front building), Room 305
|Deadlines:||Sunday, 01.05.2011 (Application)
Wednesday, 27.04.2011 (Notification on participation)