Technology and Strategy
Lecture Strategy and Organization in Technology Markets
!!! The exam date has changed. It is now 28.05.21, 14:00 – 17:00 !!!
!!! IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT COVID-19 !!!
Due to the special circumstances these days, we decided to take the following two steps to ensure high quality teaching:
- Both lectures and tutorials will be delivered online using Zoom until further notice. In addition, all online lectures will be recorded and made available using the eLearning platform moodle.
- The first lecture will take place on Tuesday, 13.04.2021, 09:15 – 10:45.
- Lecture: https://lmu-munich.zoom.us/j/93972244027?pwd=blo0elBCRk9QbVQzQXFyVlF1VjhPQT09 (Passcode: 80539)
- Tutorial: https://lmu-munich.zoom.us/j/94241386325?pwd=dWJLdU14ZW9nWW9GQkQzWVh5cTFhdz09 (Passcode: 80539)
The focus of this course on the strategic management of technological innovations is motivated by the fact that technological innovation is now the most important driver of competitive success in many industries. Within this course, we first focus on the foundations of technological innovations by discussing the sources of innovations, types and patterns of innovation, and market entry. The second part of the course deals with formulating a firm’s technological innovation strategy. In this part of the course, we discuss how firms define their strategic direction, choose innovation projects, collaborate with others, and protect their innovations. Finally, we focus on the implementation of the technological innovation strategy. We handle questions on how firms organize for innovations, how they manage their new product development process and their product development teams, and how to craft a deployment strategy.
The course is divided into a lecture and a tutorial. There will be two tutorial sessions each week, covering case studies and academic papers, respectively. It is highly recommended that students attend both session each week.
- The course is taught in English
- Text book: Mellissa A. Schilling: Strategic Management of Technological Innovation. Contents are based on the sixth edition.
- Course materials are available via Moodle: https://moodle.lmu.de/course/view.php?id=15600 (password: isto-jjj)
Tuesdays and Fridays:
16.04.2021 - 21.05.2021
Tuesdays: 13:15 - 14:45 (Group 1), 15:45 - 17:15 (Group 2)
|Credits||6 ECTS in module Technology and Innovation III (PO 15)|
28.05.21, 14:00 – 17:00